The scenario EU* can be implemented as the European peace project by the citizens, with and for the citizens. They can initiate it on "Our New Europe" and determine, in a second step, the new direction and place of their country in the Peace project in a Europe-wide referendum.
The citizens will also have the last word, in referenda and elections, to use the crises of Brexit, Euro, refugees and Ukraine as opportunities on the way to a new, diverse, democratic Europe. A new constitution and the agreements on free trade and the Common Market will be elaborated and implemented democratically.
Applying without delay the existing legal basis, the European crises shall be used as opportunities for reforms, and other urgent important actions shall be taken:
1. Brexits of other countries shall be avoided by open-minded Brexit negotiations, conducted in a constructive spirit. They shall contribute to a prosperous, democratic and diverse new Europe, where all European countries, including the United Kingdom and Brexit candidates, can occupy the place determined by their citizens, e.g. also in the common market or the vast European free trade area, instead of being completely locked out from the Union.
2. The conflict in the Ukraine shall be settled withthe help of Russia and the US. The Ukrainian people shall vote on their country's future in a referendum, for instance for a neutral, federal (decentralized) bridge state between East and West, in a large European free trade zone.
3. The European citizens' initiative shall be strengthened, so that citizens can use it as a simple, legally binding and effective tool to implement their concerns.
4. All the tasks that may be accomplished as well or even better by member states than by “Brussels” shall be decentralized (principles of subsidiarity and proportionality).
The agreements on the Common Market and the Free Trade Zone shall be elaborated democratically by the participating countries.
They shall be unanimously approved, ratified in accordance with their national laws and then be implemented.
The citizens of countries ready to participate in the core union shall elect their representatives in the Constituent Assembly.
The Constitution adopted by this Assembly shall be set into force according to the procedure specified therein (e.g. ratification by referendum in each member state).
With this Constitution, the citizens will decide, i.a., on the legal basis for:
1. Direct democracy, for all important issues, for example legislative referendua and constitutional
initiatives, the admission of new member countries, the transfer of powers to 'Brussels' and constitutional amendments.
2. A Union for refugees of the willing countries, reinforced by voluntary agreements with other European countries and by the strong commitment of citizens, NGOs and a secular Islam, shall lead to an effective, democratic European refugee policy, respecting the needs and the potentials of all European countries and of the refugees.
3. An economic, fiscal and monetary Union, led by an economic government, including transfer payments and revenue sharing as well as criteria for membership, accession and withdrawal – shall stabilize, legitimize and legally support the euro. Economic cooperation and free trade from Reykjavik to Valdivostok shall bring prosperity, stability and sustainability to the continent.
4. A common foreign, security and defence policy at variable geometry shall impart Europe's importance on a global level.
Millions of responsible, interested, dedicated and enthusiastic Europeans are indispensable for a successful and prosperous common Europe – indifferent, resigned, and frustrated citizens, ignored by the European authorities, are the end of the common Europe!
This is demonstrated, in particular, right in the middle of Europe by the debates in Switzerland, the most
experienced direct democracy in the world (with about half of all referenda worldwide).
In Switzerlad, 4 different peoples and cultures, using 4 national languages (in total about 100), have been living together in peace and increasing prosperity for more than a century and where, according to recent studies, the public debate on Europe is much livelier than in most EU countries.
European peace project - a reality
The EU will be back on its path of success as the European peace project. On a global level, this new Europe can play an important political, economic and peace-keeping role.
In Europe, democratic, subsidiary and flexible structures, decided by the citizens, will be the basis of a successful coexistence of the many different countries, peoples and cultures of Europe in peace, freedom and prosperity.